Yesterday, for our monthly Google Marketing Platform Sydney meetup, we talked about How to Create Winning Ad Campaigns.
We discussed how to create winning campaign ads with Google, with Ed Jones, Head of Growth Marketing at In Marketing We Trust.
- How to plan your next campaign
- How to set yourself up for success
- What good looks like
Learn how to plan your next campaign, considering your complete customer journey and lifecycle. Learn what you can do to maximise your campaign during each stage of the customer journey.
How to Create Winning Ad Campaigns – Google Marketing Platform Sydney
View the slides here and read on to learn more:
Our Meetup Objectives
- Share Google product expertise
- Share digital marketing expertise
- Increase the adoption of best practices
- Build a community of Google marketers
First, let’s go through what’s new with Google …
Google Search News
Google Maverick Update
- Core update
- Non-niche specific
What’s New on SERPs
Ecomm folks, check your schema!
In 2018, Google launched the product label for e-commerce sites using product schema in its image search results. But now, some are seeing these product tags in the web search results where Google includes an image carousel.
Shareable Search Results
— Tom Pool (@cptntommy) July 15, 2019
Several people are sharing screenshots on Twitter of a feature in the Google search results that lets you share search results. It has three icons, one to share, one to open the cache page and one to open the result in a new window.
Swipe to Visit
AMP pages are now accessible with just a swipe in Image Search.
After a Google Images user selects an image to view on a mobile device, they will get a preview of the website header, which can be easily swiped up to load the web page instantly.
New Branded Local Pack Tabs
- Various tabs
- Different verticals
- Menus / services
Google is once again testing using a carousel design for the local pack. They tested an alternative form of this back in March 2017 and they are testing it again now.
Get a Quote Button
“Get a Quote” button on local knowledge panel.
Search for a business’s name and on both desktop and mobile, you will get a call to action in its local knowledge panel to get a quote. On desktop the button is in blue and on mobile it is white.
What’s New on Google Ads
YouTube Mastheads are now available via CPM model.
TrueView for Action
Google Video Partners to start supporting TrueView for Action.
Parallel Tracking is now mandatory (August, 2019). Speak to your click track providers to make sure they have adopted the change.
What’s New in Google Shopping
Google will now allow advertisers to enhance shopping results with user photos. (Currently in beta with selected partners).
What’s New in Google Images
Image search has changed to vertical UI.
Google Tool News
Google Analytics App + Web
A new way to unify app and website measurement in Google Analytics.
Currently, many businesses measure app engagement with Google Analytics for Firebase and website engagement with Google Analytics. While each of these products separately offers powerful insights, getting a more unified picture of engagement across your app and website can be a manual and painstaking process. To make this simpler, Google announced a new way to measure apps and websites together for the first time in Google Analytics.
Go deeper to understand the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns across platforms. Now you can see how many users started on your app and then visited your website to make a purchase.
Display Ads & Video 360
Environment Targeting will stop supporting device and position options and focus only on web or app.
- Position will be separate
- In content
- Size options will be separate
- This will provide better targeting
Data Studio Update
Marketing Live in July announced some updates, including:
- New sorting options in charts
- BigQuery BI Engine support
- Reporting options —
- Downloadable PDF reports
- Scheduled email reports
Dragonfly is Dead
Karan Bhatia has announced Google is pulling the plug on its move into china (for now).
Now that we know what’s new with Google. Let’s dig into How to Create Winning Ad Campaigns, with Ed.
How to Create Winning Ad Campaigns
Ed Jones, is Head of Growth at In Marketing We Trust.
- Google Marking Platform Sydney Organising Team
- Head of Growth @ In Marketing We Trust
- Has worked in Digital for over 15 years
- Managed client budgets from $500 to over $2m per month
- Hails from the UK (Anglo-Welsh Italian)
- Enjoys feeding people! (cooking & baking)
- Fortunate enough to have lived in Japan (5yrs), India(3yrs), El Salvador (1yr) & Stralia (3yrs)
Today we’ll give you an overview of creating an integrated paid campaign that drives sales, with examples of what good looks like.
- Campaign process
- Setting up for success
- Examples of good
How to Plan Ad Campaigns
Think about the complete customer journey and the lifecycle of your ad campaigns. Campaigns aren’t just stand alone ads, there are other assets you need to make a connected campaign.
Setting Up for Success
What is the Objective?
Who is the Target Customer?
What Does the Customer Journey Look Like?
Customers are on a journey.
- The easiest way to split this is into moments (we’ll come to this a bit later … )
- Not all stages of the customer journey are equal – they have different commercial value (influence, result in dollars)
- At different stages of the journey the consumer will be showing different intent signals
- You should understand intent signals
- You should match intent signals
- If a customer is searching for “Weather in India in August” – they’re not ready to book your hotel in Jaipur.
- Youtube… “Holidays in Jaipur” – now is a great time to influence the traveller with your hotel ad
- Google… “Jaipur hotel deals August” – now is a great time to bid on search ads
Is My Offer Correct?
Is My Message Correct?
Is My Campaign Consistent?
What Does My Funnel Look Like?
What Am I Measuring?
Can I Actually Measure it?
Can I Improve Performance?
What You Can Do
Now that you know how to create a plan and the consumer moments …
Let’s look at what you can do during each moment.
Where Will They Be Looking?
South Australia Tourist Board
Where You Need to Be
Some Flights Examples
- ANA focussing on exact keywords
- Bunnik increasing bids due to the offer they have
- BA including pricing to drive the conversion
Facilitate this Process
Hotels Doing it Right
- Own your brand
- like Hilton
- Sofitel need to work on this
- Agoda Long tail strategy with good user experience
What Will Users Do Next?
- Offer lead display ads
- Relevancy is key
Test and Learn
Huge thank you to Ed Jones for his teachings and Edge for hosting us.
Join us for our next Google Marketing Platform meetup.